The 80-20 Rule with Hearing Aids

Q.  I am fairly sure I hear fine 80% of the time.  It’s the other 20% of the time that I have trouble understanding what’s being said.  Should I wait to get hearing aids until it’s more like 50-50?

A.  How much does the 20% of the time impact you and those around you?  How frustrating, annoying, and aggravating are those instances?  During the 80%, it sounds as if you still notice some impact on what you are trying to understand.  But 20% of the time, it’s very noticeable. 

   If you used a pair of hearing aids, they would help you a great deal during the 20% of the time when you need a lot of help.  And the hearing aids would also help you during the other 80% of the time, too.  If you are noticing any hearing issues at all, you would do well to have your hearing tested.

    Ideally, the hearing center will provide you with a thorough explanation of what is happening to your hearing.  The impact of hearing loss varies widely for three main reasons:  the depth of a person’s hearing loss, the listening situations a person is in, and how well or poorly a person’s brain responds to the hearing loss