Community Service and Off-Site Visits
You Can Help Others Hear Better
We always invite patients to make a contribution to our 501-c3 non-profit that helps us cover most of the costs of our charitable work. Every dollar helps provide excellent care and service to those in need:
- Free hearing aids and accessory equipment for students at the Texas School for the Deaf.
- Free hearing aids for working parents of school-age children. Participants must meet the qualifications for David H. Walter Better Hearing Instrument Program, B-HIP.
- Free service and care at local institutions such as the South Austin Salvation Army In-Residence Rehabilitation Program, SafePlace, and the Trinity Homeless Center.
- Free service and care for underserved communities inside and outside the U.S.:
- 2018 in Tuba City, Arizona with the Hopi and Navajo senior community Click here to watch the video.
- 2017 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia with the Salvation Army Click here to watch the video.
- 2016 in Marrakesh, Morocco at the SOS Children’s Village Orphanage Click here to watch the video.
- 2015 in Havana, Cuba with the Salvation Army Click here to watch the video.
- 2014 Port-au-Prince, Haiti with the Salvation Army Click here to watch the video.
- 2013 Chintsa, South Africa with local schools and community health services Click here to watch the video.
Texas School for the Deaf
Between 2008 and 2018 the value of our hearing aid donations reached $122,500. The Better Hearing Center of Austin is the only hearing center in Texas that purchases new hearing aids for in-need students at the Texas School for the Deaf. Many of the students at TSD are not fully deaf and use hearing aids to capture a range of sounds, voices, and music. Our program purchases new hearing aids for students who are unable to obtain needed hearing aids through TSD, the state, and other available programs. These hearing aids are not loaners, they become the student’s property. The programing, care, and service for the student’s hearing aids is handled through the audiology staff at the Texas School for the Deaf. The Better Hearing Center of Austin is proud to be given TSD’s Partner of the Year Award in 2011 for our free hearing aid program for TSD students.
Saleem with students at the Texas School for the Deaf who have received hearing aids from the Better Hearing Center of Austin.